We are "Bangali". And we love "maach". But then there are Bengalis who turn vegetarians. Here are 7 things this rare breed of NIRAMISH Bengalis experience.
We are “Bangali”. And we love “maach“. Period. We love maach so much that we even put it on the logos of the websites we run. But then there are some Bengalis (including the writer of this niramish post) who choose to become vegetarian. Yeah! You heard us right. It’s a mammoth struggle for a person who has been brought up on a non-vegetarian diet to turn vegetarian. But for a Bong, this struggle is tougher than bringing back Matt Damon from a galaxy far, far away.
Here are a few things this rare breed of Niramish Bengalis experience.
1) “Ei tui Bangali na?” Your family and friends start questioning your Bongness.
I have no clue. I feel Tamil on weekdays, Spanish on Saturdays and German on Sundays.
2) It becomes neighbourhood news. Parar boudis and dadas come up with conspiracy theories.
“Ei, Kaverir chele ‘bhej’ hoye geche. Bodhoy Belur e Maharaj howar icche. Tar upor Narendrapur e poreche.”
3) The Bangali biye-baari season with loads of food means little for your plate.
Your friends binge on three kinds of fish and two kinds of meat, while you have to be happy with your mishti polau and chanar kofta.
“Dada aro 6-ta kofta din to !!”
4) Because you are a true Bengali and you still love food, you diligently list places which serve good “niramish” food.
You turn to that Marwari friend for recommendations.
“Govinda’s er thali ta bhalo ache.”
5) Them: “Maach khabina? Chokher power bere jabe.”
Fish. The Kryptonite of your neighbourhood chosmar dokan.
6) “Biye kake korbi? Kono Bangalir sontaan toke biye korbena.”
I’ll start a VegetarianMatrimony.com. #StartUpIndia er naam shunecho ?
7) You also realise the sheer amount of tempting vegetarian dishes in Bengali cuisine.
Ah! Koraishutir Kochuri with Alur Dum to jazz up Sunday mornings. Bliss.
After all is said and done, it isn’t so bad being a Bong Vegetarian after all. To each her/his own paturi.
Liked the Bong Vegetarian? Like our Facebook page & don’t miss a single story from BONGFeed.com
Latest posts by Mayuri Bhattacharjee (see all)
- 6 hilariously confusing experiences of a NON-RESIDENT BONG in Kolkata - Jan 30, 2016
- 7 struggles of a Bong who turns Vegetarian - Jan 24, 2016