Being a fan of the red side of Manchester is kind of a fad now. But then there are the truly passionate Bengali fans of the English juggernaut. The Manchester United Fans Club of Kolkata has proved their love for football by organizing the Jimmy Murphy Trophy 2015.
Here are 6 important things you need to know about this exciting effort!
- Manchester United Fans Club Kolkata (MUFC-K) is a registered, non-profit organization which organizes 2 tournaments each year among many activities including live match day screenings. The first of the year is an 8/9 a side tournament in summer and the one during winter is a 5 a side tournament.
- There have been 4 tournaments organized by them since 2013 and all have got an amazing response from players and members alike.
- Jimmy Murphy Trophy 2015 is the summer tournament for the year and is an 8-a-side tournament. There are 8 franchises bought by the members of the club and player registration was closed when numbers met 120. The 8 franchises have selected their team from these players with a squad of 10 for all. The franchises will own the team till the 2016 winter tournament.
- The players were allotted to teams via auction that was held in 2 phases. First, it was for a marquee player who is considered to be among the best of the players registered. This was bought with real money by the franchises. Post this, the remaining 9 players were sold via online auction using virtual points system.
- The teams have all been named based on Machester lore. And the warriors are –
- Beck’s benders (They bend like..You know who!)
- Bobby’s Best Law (Legends take a bow!)
- Fergie’s Fledglings (Those miraculous boys!)
- King Cantona’s crusaders (They carry Eric’s swag)
- Red Devils Xtreme (You know why!)
- Stretford United (That stand that chants the best)
- The Traffordites (The home of the Reds)
- Fergie’s Hairdryers (Sir Alex’s wrath)
- Oh we almost forgot! BONGFeed.com is proud to power the Fergie’s Hairdryers! We just couldn’t help but be a part of this awesome event! Come on boys, bring home the trophy!
Here are the tournee details –
Date: 26th April 2015
Time: 9AM to 9PM
Watch it in Live streaming – www.beamitlive.com
Place: Tarun Dal, Kudghat
Format: Group (4 teams in 2 groups) + Knockout
Total games: 15
Be there and enjoy an awesome day of football!
GO FERGIE”S HAIRDRYERS
Liked this article ? Like our Facebook page so you don’t miss any stories from BONGFeed.com
Latest posts by Teen Kori (see all)
- 9 Stages of a Bengali’s life in Bangalore - Jul 10, 2016
- 15 things you feel when you move back to Kolkata after a long time - Jul 3, 2016
- What does a Bengali “SHOSHUR” look for in his Jamai? - Jun 9, 2016
- Was Aamir Khan once thrown out of Sourav Ganguly’s home? - Mar 10, 2016